Monday, January 28, 2008

New Status: WAHM


When I started blogging my cloth diaper making, I had no idea where it would lead to. I knew others could read my blog, but never expected anything to come of it, except maybe a couple, "that's cute" occasionally. Boy was I suprised to find someone wanted me to sew for them. It has been something I've wanted to do, but never really knew how to get started in a flooded market. These are not actually real diapers. They are to cover disposables for a photographer. These are my first ones I've made for her. Amazing to think that my sewing capabilities could be hanging on people walls someday soon....as treasures.

The technical details....I made these using the free Katrina's Quick Sew Pattern. In order to sell, I'm going have to give one away... (I've yet to make it, but it's coming, I promise. This order just needed out for a photo shoot.) They are made from t shirts.

1 comment:

BusyBof3 said...

Hello. I am new to making my own diapers and have been using prefolds since my son was born (which I would have used these for my first 2).

I love the diapers that you have made and have some questions for you.

I am on a journey to turn my prefolds into pocket
diapers, but am having some difficulties and have some questions (with more to come I am sure as I am new to sewing anything).

My first question is what kind of material can I use for a waterproof outerlayer. I have heard of PUL but is there anything else that can be used?

Next, I have purchased s sample of polyester fleece (it's black).
Can I use this as is for the soaker pad or is this just to use right against baby's bum-bum to keep the mositer away?

Also, if I do not use the fleece as the soaker pad, what material do I use? Can I use old blankets to t-shirts? Or, maybe the prefold is enough?

I do not have a serger, therefore need to know how to clean up the
cut edges. Should I use FOE or is there an easier/better way to do
this? I have heard that using a zig zag stitch will not hold up as
long.

Sizes...any help would be GREAT! My son is 18 months and weighs
about 24 pounds. I have traced a disposable right on to one of my
prefolds and then cut around with my roller blade but that's about
all I have done so far.

Last, I love to knit and would LOVE to knit one of the soakers, but am confused about how to use them? Do you put these over diapers that have no water proof layer?

Thank you so much in advance for your help. I can't wait to get one
made :-)

Brandy a/k/a BusyBof3